Friday, November 17, 2006

Normalcy

Recently The Cat and I have been experiencing a bit of our own Neighbour(s)hood Gothic.



That's right, I had no reason to leave the castle during daylight hours and The Cat is fully equipped for Horror Show Freak Out 24/7 (she doesn't like abbreviations, that's why I use them). Given three days of Gothic it was something of a relief to shed the skin of the last person I'd lured back here and convinced to rub lotion on themselves and instead don normal attire and step into the light. I even returned my videos on time, yay me.

So I went and saw Al Gore preach to the converted.



The man is no stand up comedian but he knows his way around the ol' power point. What can I say that any small "l" liberal, Labor/Greens voting person has not said before? I knew what he was saying before he said it but for the most part he said it well and said it convincingly. I did find myself wondering as he mentioned yet one more flight he'd taken why my friend was so ready to lick Al Gore but so suddenly bolshie when it came to flights herself?

The night took a turn from the confrontingly real and doom-ness "we are all about to die and boil alive like a frog in a boiling pot of boiling water"ness into the dreadful when I bumped into my distant-but-dear friend at the exit. In the space of a minute I managed to inadvertently accuse of her of being fat (I didn't say she was pregnant, I didn't! I just asked her about the hypothetical children. I understand now that that was wrong) and asked about her partner. The same partner with whom she had separated with on the weekend. What am I, Hugh Grant now?

Traumatised from these events, I eventually stumbled into PB's celebrations and all was well. Years ago, PB and I celebrated the fact that we were shallow aesthetes - and how lucky were we that all our friends were really totally hot? Luckily for us all, PB held firm to our original mandate so his birthday was well attended by all those who were purdy. Also well travelled. There is something fantastic about drifting between groups of people and realising that the thing that we all have in common is that we can't stay still. Not just in a "rool need to go to the toilet" way but in a whole "is that all there is?" nomad way. Aw. To travelling...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home