Friday, January 12, 2007

Censorship

Today I am working at the place that has government-protected tea and afternoon breaks, biscuits both sweet and savoury and a large, well designed kitchen area for all and saundry. It also has three types of newspapers and little competition for the e.g. section of the age.


Your search - "adventures of naked man" - did not match any documents



So everything was going pretty well until I noticed. The horror. The creeping kudzu vine that is: Jim Schembri.

God I hate that fucker. I can't quite decide why. I gave it some thought as I flipped through page after page bearing his unctuous, greasy prose. I know, buried in my memory, is some particular column that I must've actually read all the way through at some point and at the end exclaimed "I just lost five minutes of my life! FOR THIS?!" but I can no longer locate what was contained within. All I know is that he is everywhere with an opinion on everything. And that he gave Apocalypto five stars. Five.

He tainted the Green Guide for me yesterday and now he's moved on to my Friday lift out. If he's in Saturday I'm officially Cracking It.

I am already, I should confess, a fastidious newspaper reader. I have found I have a lot of fellow feeling for... that famous guy... who famously made his family iron his newspaper every morning if they dared to read it before him so that he could pretend he had a fresh, new, crisp newspaper every day. I used to be proud that I would read certain sections cover to cover until The Age saw fit to taint those sections with such writers as Stephanie Dowrick or that annoying young lass who used to write the intro for the Good Weekend (damn, I just outed which section I used to read all the way through). Why I am now being hounded not just in the weekend but throughout the week days too?

Go away, Jim Schembri, go away

5 Comments:

At 3:36 AM, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

I enjoyed some of Jim Schrembri's early work (like, 20 years ago) but my recent discovery that he was not much impressed with The OC means that Jim and I no longer see eye to eye.

It was fun while it lasted etc

 
At 11:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn you talking about newspapers - you've made me realise that it's Saturday morning, and i want to be reading the paper front to back in my favourite cafe on the corner, BUT IT'S CLOSED!

It's not really at all impressive that I thought this, but this post made me wonder if you know about this lot. Everyone there talks shallow, meandering bollocks all day about everything*, but I can see some like minds etc.



*yes i'm one, too

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger Kate said...

Hehehe Sharpatootha! I was aware of messandnoise but not of that particular thred. Many thanks!

INC - apparently schrembri is a children's illustrator or something. I wish he would go back to it. Grrr.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Melba said...

i too detest mr schembri. it's a sure thing that whatever movie he hates, i'll adore, and vice versa. so if i glance at a review and he's scathing, off i go quick smart to see it.

INC - we have just discovered the joys of the OC. season one on dvd. nice one.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Schembri *shudder*

I heard someone say once that if Schembri gave a movie a good review, they might go and see it anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home