Sunday, October 01, 2006

Upon Reflection

Yesterday I experienced the rather dubious thrill that was A Breakfast Date (with no night before if you get where I'm coming from).



The time was initiated by me as an attempt to take a stance against previous instances of gross (although charming and witty, natch) insobriety and so to soberly assess the potential (or lack thereof) of the young man. The role of "independent and impartial judge" was to be played by Sunlight, aka, the harsh light of day and I, the European-style magistrate would be there to gather all the facts and asses the evidence without anything getting in the way like, oh say, too much alcohol, sunglasses at night or The Music.

The role of Young Man was played with charm and quiet intensity by a resident of the Emerald City but I couldn't help feeling as though, despite being intrigued, at times a bit entertained and in general enjoying discussing Things for the first time in awhile, as though I had not just had breakfast with... a tall glass of water.



What the hell does that mean, herbert? Clearly there is no rational argument that can be mounted against the glass of water. I don't care how many annoying ad campaigns I see trying to paint water as some sort of horrifying bogey monster all water is is a mysterious liquid that we - finger puppets, humans, whatever - need in order to function. There is also the expression "s/he was like a tall glass of water" implying that someone is a revelatory quenching of the observer's needs. On the other hand there is the same expression which can be used to imply that someone is just as boring, but vital, as a glass of water. That is - transparent, tasteless and inoffensive. And prone to wearing vests. Although personally, I find vests very offensive. Hmm. I can talk myself out of just about anything, should I talk myself out of this? On the other, non-vest wearing hand, Emerald City was rather smitten. There's always the excitement of having someone be smitten with you. Particularly when, to quote KRS 1, "[they] think very deeply" . So is he a frog or a philosopher? Or both?

4 Comments:

At 7:58 PM, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Hopeless confused by the glass of water analogy, but Emerald City sounds like he has potential.

I don't know. Do you like this guy or not? And if you do, does that mean you have a "vested interest"?

 
At 5:35 PM, Blogger Kate said...

I'm not craig, thank you for playing "post on my blog"!

As for the glass, like our days of full dams and no water restrictions he is now history.

I am harsh. And seldom fair. Particularly if anything smacks of "long distance"

 
At 2:49 AM, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Oh dear, that is unfortunate (for Mr Emerald City)

Post on Herbert's blog is one of my favourite games in the whole world. Other favourites include "Hide Bob's pants", "Find the Hamburger" and of course "You're not Craig", the game I liked so much I named myself after it.

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Kate said...

How many places are there REALLY though to hide a hamburger?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home