Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Seven Days

For the past seven working days I have been marinating in a stew of fear, hatred, ennui, apathy and a sprinkling of derision - in all, not exactly a pleasant mix and definitely not good for one's complexion.


herbert is the one on the left


The downside of being a temp is working with Trogs. Previously I had harboured a sort of maternal contempt for some of my temporary co-workers, viewing them as warm but slightly misguided creatures that I could view from a safe distance, cocooned as I was with my transitory status and superior intellect - I could interact without getting too involved. Until last week and I entered The MAW.



Now just 'cause there are teddy bears doesn't mean there isn't a freaking huge alligator lurking in the background also.

So being a receptionist is not a terribly strenuous job, mentally. There is a trick to it but once you remember where you're working and what to ask, it usually become pretty straightforward. Unless you are working at MAW where no one speaks to you (because you are a) a girl and b) the temp) until something goes wrong, terribly, terribly wrong, and then they will speak to you at length, in a baffling and circular manner beginning with "it's not your fault - because nobody told you but - it is your fault and - no, don't worry, it isn't your fault - only, you made a mistake, HOW COULD YOU MAKE A MISTAKE LIKE THAT? No, don't say anything - it's not your fault...." ARGH. Yesterday was the sourest day in my weeklong slog through the bitter, rancid swampland that was MAW, the result of real estate agents + telemarketers, all of it equalling stupidity and desperation. But yesterday, oh yesterday. As if there wasn't enough going on, yesterday threw in the late inclusion of a taste of "bitchtrolls from Brighton" and god did they lay on the shit thick and fast with their condescending accents and "wells" and huffing noises of exasperation because were they to understand that there would be no office in Brighton anymore? Well!

I don't know, ladies, put down your pearls for a minute and deal with it. See also - in the entire seven day period I worked there I was provided with exactly no background information on what anyone did or how the five different fronts businesses that they ran out of the office interacted with each other.



All I can say is that it has taken pretty much the whole day, a delicious kibbeh wrap, a heap of sunshine and some serious cleavage-top-wearing and Inpress reading before I've been able to shake off the horror of that last place. Ugh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home