Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Supernatural Meredith Part II

Standing in line can be very soothing when you have no idea what else to do with yourself being as it is about a)five hours earlier than you are used to ever being awake of a weekend morning and b)your eyesight is so bad that you are not sure if you know any of the people hanging out in the shade tent in the centre of the camp and don't quite have enough courage sans caffiene to find out just yet. So I hung out in line for coffee and then bumped into my friend Spakattak who was in an unusually generous and happy mood.



This turned out to be because he'd had so much sleep. 14 hours of sleep in fact. Slept through Rose Tattoo even. I was impressed/appalled but thankful for the stubbie holder he gave me to put around the first beer of the day (9.30, ahhh yeah).

And so the day unfolded, mostly in the shade because it was too hot to be anywhere else. I felt smug walking past the peaked-too-early who were sweating it off in the sheds up the back of the ampitheatre. I did feel sorry for the girl puking her guts up in front of everyone into the bin at the edge of the Heaven Eleven. Mostly I was just happy that there was beer.



I shared my rose tattoo faux-pas with the relocated sunday-social-club and was informed that Rose Tattoo would not play "back in black" , "working class man", "jail break", "eagle rock", "Khe San" or "when something is wrong with my baby". Thanks for clearing up any confusion I might've had.

Macromantics has the longest arms of any performer I have ever seen. Everytime I see her I am freaked out by the length of those arms. And why is it that every boy who's seen her just goes "man her dj is hot. A bit single white female vibeish but pretty hot. Oh... yeah, I guess macromantics music is pretty cool too. Do you think her dj is a lesbian?"



Tapes n Tapes, which I had been hanging out to listen to in their perfect time slot of 1pm were everything I could've hoped for.

The team were on high alert for Midlake. For some reason this totally inoffensive group of men from Denton, Texas, has captured the hearts and minds of the social club. And so we all made sure our minds were just a little bit more expanded for them - leaving me wondering if my legs would actually hold me up all the way down to the stage. Ahhh, bearded fleetwood mac men. So many keyboards. Such pretty tunes.

Despite Spakattak garaunteeing me that if I went up for Kid Koala all I would see would be a DJ I was damn glad I went there. Three turn tables, a whole lot of jumping and the moment when hundreds of people started jumping up and down to "fuck you I wont do what you tell me!" but doing it ... with love. Not with rage! Ok, fine, my mind might've still been a little over expanded.

Deciding that the Drones were not for us, Awesome and I ventured into a part of Meredith neither of us had ever been before - the weird, make out/look out point past the wood fire pizza stalls. In the afternoon it was still scattered with couples but also with The Egg and his snoozing friends and, miraculously, half a watermelon. Mmmm, watermelon.



By the time Sound Track of Our Lives took the stage I was in danger of becoming a dust person. The Superman throne I'd stolen off Spakattak was just not quite comfy enough to let me rest so I decided to sacrifice Augie March to the more urgent call of my blowup mattress.

Awesome and I reconnoitred for Cornelius and ooohed and aaaahed over the visuals.

Despite telling me that she used to think of me as merely "one of three" with interchangable names, Roo won me back with compliments about fashion and so we went to check out the cinema. Faster Pussy Cat, Kill Kill, makes no sense. It doesn't really make any difference but still. No sense.

Then it was time for the betracksuited weirdness of Datarock. Night Flight to Uranus was a highlight for me although JZ was hanging out for "the Fa-Fa-Fa one". Stumbling back up the hill with Awesome, we suddenly found ourself in an out-take from "Fame" as "I had the time of my life" came on and my friends and I used all our old theatre skills to form a chorus line of six thanking meredith, the stage, each other for... the time of our life. Shut up, I don't care which movie it was originally in.

Finally, finally it was time for the double agent known as Girl Talk. The Egg had seen him the night before and said he was the most fucked dude in the room (and to be the most fuckedup person at Revolver is, indeed, to be well fucked up) and he didn't disappoint on the night. Well, actually, he did because he didn't take his boxers off. So close! So close and yet so far. Keep on practising your highkicks in the mirror of your bedroom, Girl Talk. But start practising taking it alll off next time.


Kure Kure Takora!


Back to the late night cinema with Awesome and Random and it was time for the craziness of Gimme Gimme Octopus. After about three episodes I was reading a latent homosexual subplot between Octopus and Peanut and Random was reading a highschool script called "pashing that one that is sitting next to you". Awesome, the next day, gave us high marks for awkwardness and lameness and low marks for skill. I made excuses and eventually ran away.

The next morning there was nothing for it but to hide in the shade again, drink as many raspberry crush things as possible and then turn to beer again. I wanted to stay for the tossled headed hotness that would've been Edan but the hotness of the sun got the better of me. Oh Meredith, I miss you already.

2 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger audrey said...

My gentleman friend went to Meredith for the first time this year. He fell in love with it. He wants to marry it and kiss it on the lips.

 
At 5:42 PM, Blogger Kate said...

It is indeed that sort of festival, audrey. It makes you want to run away into the sunset with it and drink cocktails with it in perpetuity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home