Saturday, January 13, 2007

Gender Politics

Last night I did a number of stupid things.

I really didn't eat anything during the day

I forgot to have dinner

I drank two bottles of white wine

I was out in public

I disclosed something that I hadn't entirely made up my mind about to two of the biggest gossips I know

I invited myself over to The Egg's house and made myself entirely at home.



So it was the last one that I've been pondering all day. It seems largely acceptable (where "acceptable" is understood to be "within the city limits of Crazytown, population: various") for a girl to do this. Men of my acquaintance have spoken wistfully of girlfriends past who would climb through windows, late at night. Nostalgic sighs have been heaved over the idea that some girl from their past would've only tried to do such a thing for them back in the day. So while I was... aware of a certain moral ambiguity over the issue I couldn't help but wonder "what would I do if I came home to someone I hadn't invited "chillin'" in my bed?"

And I'm not sure that saying "oh" and having a brief discussion about each others day would've been the answer.

I guess it really is different, being a girl.

4 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you didn't vomit on the sheets, at least. So that's a bonus!

 
At 1:31 AM, Blogger Kate said...

was a close call though meva - I vomited on a post box earlier (am now on the run from "the feds")

sigh

Did you vomit on the sheets then? And it still turned out well?

 
At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it does make you feel better. But the person under the sheets was less impressed.

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Kate said...

clearly they lacked the pollock-like vision you were having...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home