Sunday, February 04, 2007

The rosy pink cheeks of sin

Yesterday I 'helped' my dear friend Park pack up her flat and sell her belongings in preparation for her impending move to bro-town. I am terribly sad that she is leaving and that I will never be able to pick my way past such an incredible selection of pot plants on my way to her flat ever again.

Rather than dwell on all that is sad and final about her leaving, however, lets make lemonaids, shall we and be more upbeat and pollyanna-ish, as is our want. (All you haters sitting out there thinking "herbert = happy go lucky pollyanna?!" yo' don't know me! So there!)

    Things that have been pretty awesome about 'helping':
  • riding shotgun in a fancy car (it is truly one of my favouritest things in the whole world to sit next to someone dear to me as they drive around. If there is a radio playing so-bad-its-good music for me to sing along to, so much the better)
  • Wearing enormous, diamante-speckled "wedding" sunglasses inside
  • Taking time out from packing to sit in cafes (various) to eat cake while each of us read separate, awful, trashy magazines (and exclaim loudly over the contents)
  • Wearing diamante encrusted sunglasses, inside, while moving things in... not just mono, not just stereo but trio-a-phone. And then making up a speaker system that means three times the fury just for the hell of it
  • Perfecting the art of 'helping' with Hottness. We realised, as each of us found our perfect slump on the futon couch from which to watch three other people struggle with moving a queen size bed out of the way and down four flights of stairs, that together we had combined our powers of helping to new heights.
  • Finally hearing the real version of "the first cut is the deepest"
  • Gin and tonics and 'Dude, where's my car?'
  • Running shrieking into the sea
  • Finally finding some joy in knowing all the words to Rick Astley's song in a fish and chip shop somewhere in Brighton

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger gigglewick said...

I'm a fan of that kind of helping too Herbert. I think moral support is really important.

Incidentally, what is the cover version of 'the first cut is the deepest' you have been listening to prior to hearing the original?

 
At 4:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gigglewick, that version would be my friend, Park. She used to threaten to turn up at parties armed only with a guitar and the desire to sing this song.

It was only when she started threatening to turn up outside of windows that we grew alarmed.

I will always treasure her version of it though.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Which Rick Astley song?

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Kate said...

never gonna give you up, never gonna say goodbye, never gonna roam around and DESERT YOU

Does he have any other songs? Really?

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger I'm not Craig said...

Yes, he had a whole bunch of them, which I could name but I choose not to.

Also, he had a whole lot more if you consider that if you play any Kylie single from her "I should be so lucky" period at 33 1/3 instead of 45, it sounds exactly like Rick Astley.

I can't quite remember which of my friends actually had a Kylie single on vinyl so we could try this, but it's true.

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Kate said...

INC - shhh, but I might've known people with vinyl copies of kylie's hits too. But if you own them in north fitzroy its "ironic".

I am intrigued by this link between Rick Astley & Kylie. Given that 'our kyles' has been linked with such musos as michael hutchence & nick cave and you start to wonder... is the singing budgie actually our jungian unconcious, in song??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home